1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will banty roosters fight?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bantyhen, Aug 12, 2014.

1. bantyhen

bantyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hi. I have a bantam rooster that is about three years old. I am wanting to get a young rooster to add to the flock. Will they get along? My three year old rooster has spurs but the one I am thinking about adding does not yet. Will they seriously injure each other or kill each other, or will they just fight, establish the pecking order, and go on.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    They will more than likely fight. In confinement damage caused may not be tolerable, especially intact feathering is of interest. At this point I would only mix such roosters up when no hens present in a situation where birds can avoid each other.

Show a picture, if second young enough you could have no problems.

3. Niki Chickens

Niki Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    My roosters were all raised together. Bought them all as little chicks and they were supposed to be all hens. Out of 9 little chicks 4 ended up being roosters. They fought and picked on one another constantly and ran the hens constantly to try to keep them away from the other rooster and I free range with lots of room. I had to make the hard decision to get rid of all but one rooster. My hens and flock has never been so calm. I know I made the right decision but make sure you are ready to make that decision before getting another rooster because from what I have seen they all fight all the time and make the hens miserable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by