Will Batam rooster be dominate?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lady Lakenvelder, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Lady Lakenvelder

Lady Lakenvelder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Imlay city, michigan
    I plan on getting more chickens next weekend and I was wondering........... if I got a Bantam rooster would he be dominate over larger hens?

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Yes!! If the hens go broody, you will have baby chicks. Or you could put the eggs in a bator and have baby chicks. Biggew than the roo and smaller thean the hens.

3. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Quote:We're in Michigan, too and I've got 5 bantam cochin cockerels if you're interested: 2 buff, 1 black, 1 blue, 1 really ugly red frizzle. Free to a good home. Hatched March 8.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  4. MarylandChick

MarylandChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    A.A. County MD
    I had two roos and the larger roo was the alpha and the bantam roo was the helper! The bantam was dominate over the hens and would help keep track of the hens, round them up and keep watch. He also "helped with the mating" by getting between the bigger roo and the hens whenever they mated. He'd like jump in there and sit on the top of the hens back or neck. It's kind of wierd.

5. Lady Lakenvelder

Jul 17, 2008
    Imlay city, michigan
    *Thanks for all the input. MrsChickenDad..... If I can't find what I'am looking for I'll let you know asap! I am converting an old outhouse into the new coop and it should be completed by next weekend. I'am in Imlay City.

6. BUG126

BUG126 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    My little frizzled guy is the Alpha roo. Keeps good track of his girls and bosses around our Brahama roo, its quite the sight to watch.

7. Lady Lakenvelder

Jul 17, 2008
    Imlay city, michigan
    He's too cute!!! I just hope my neighbors don't get upset by the crowing. My last rooster was a BB Red and he didn't have a loud crow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by