Will be ever fully heal from Scaly Mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, Jun 15, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I bought a rooster with terrible scaly mites. I treated him a lot, and we lost all his scalys in the process. His legs are a little better, His legs don't have growths and there yellow and there is no open wounds but yellow and flat and no scales, when will he get scales back?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I had a roo that had leg mites when I got him from someone (pretty bad but not bad enough that his scales were off) and I have been fighting it for years now and I continue to put Vaseline on him every week to keep it under control. If I stop then they reappear and that's after keeping their coop VERY clean...his girl who lives with him has never gotten it because I treat her as well just in case but never seen any on her. I Love him to death and will continue to treat him and he has a home for life here because I can't sell him and honestly say he is healthy. But that's ok cuz he's a doll....he used to be abused by his previous owner so I feel he needs the rest of his life to be a happy one [​IMG]

Do you have a picture of his legs? I can't say when or if his scales will grown back (doubtful imo) but I could be wrong.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If the legs are badly damaged and scarred by long term scaley leg mite infestation chickens generally do not re grow their leg scales. That being said, they can continue to live long and healthy ives.

4. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I had a BO roo that scaly leg mites when I got him. Although I got rid of the mites his scales were permently deformed and stuck out instead of laying flat and looked like he still had them. I only had him a few months before a bobcat got him. [​IMG] He was a very good roo and I miss him alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by