Will be expanding my standard hen flock next spring, need breed recommendations

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Going Quackers, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I already have some lovely birds but as they age i know eggs will decrease, i want to keep that steady so want to add a few more spring '14.

The problem is i don't know what, i'll list my musts and see if i can get some feedback on what people have found suit this.

1. Cold hardy, we get cold, snow etc

2. docile and not high strung, my birds are friendly and can be handled.

3. Foraging, my birds free range

4. moderate egg production, they don't need to be high level but clearly since i want them for eggs they can't be of fair laying capabilities.

Thank you, looking forward to seeing your suggestions.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    it sounds like the heritage breed is what your after. love my rir. hand feeding is the key to friendly birds

3. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Okay thanks! well actually these girls were brooded in my house and then handled loads...

4. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    My barred rocks are very friendly and great for cold weather, my columbian rock cross's are the same thing but are the most friendly and are good egg producers. [​IMG]

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thanks, nice looking birds!

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Love my white Chanteclers! Right up your alley, and lovely birds. Also Wyandottes, many colors, Plymouth Rocks, Sussex.. For egg color variety, Marans, Ameracaunas or Easter Eggers, Welsummers. Many choices! Mary

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Which chicken breed is the best for you?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chickens-resource-for-selecting-your-chickens

Here are some breed suggestions.

• Australorp – excellent production of medium sized brown eggs, adaptable to confinement or free range, quiet, docile, easily handled. Good brooder, good mother, early maturing and very cold hardy. Developed in Australia from black orpingtons for egg laying .
    • Buckeye – medium producer of medium sized brown eggs, very cold hardy, can be broody, adaptable to confinement and a very good forager, calm and friendly.
    • Chantecler – good producer of large brown eggs and is a dual purpose bird that is extremely cold hardy. Bears confinement well but can be skittish around people.
    • Cochin – very popular as a show bird, medium producer of brown tinted eggs, excellent brooder, good mother and excellent foster mother, robust and cold hardy, adaptable to confinement or free range, peaceful, friendly and easily handled.
    • Jersey Giant – dual purpose (formerly meat),good producers of medium to large brown eggs, good brooder, protective mother, robust and cold hardy. Large birds that eat a lot, adaptable to confinement or free range, calm, gentle and easily handled.
    • Leghorn – layer, extremely heavy producer of medium to large white eggs, a non-setter that is hardy, heat tolerant (especially the white variety) that is early maturing. Enjoys free range although will adapt to confinement and is flighty, spritely and noisy.
    • Orpington – originally developed as an excellent meat bird, this dual purpose chicken is also a good producer of medium to large brown eggs, good brooder and excellent mother, hardy and early maturing, adaptable to free range, very adaptable to confinement, docile, affectionate, easily handled.
    • Plymouth Rock – dual purpose, good producer of large brown eggs, a good mother but broods infrequently, robust and cold hardy, well adaptable to confinement or free range, docile, friendly, easily handled. Once common on the homestead, still popular in the backyard. Developed in America and popularity spread very rapidly due to its qualities as an outstanding farm chicken.
    • Rhode Island Red – dual purpose, excellent, heavy producer of rich, large brown eggs, broods infrequently but can be a dutiful mother, robust, hardy in the heat and cold, adaptable to free range or confinement, active, calm and fairly docile but cocks can be aggressive. One of the best breeds for producing brown eggs.
    • Wyandottes – Coming in a variety of colors and patterns, these are a good bird for a small family flock in rugged conditions. Cold hardy and good mothers, they have a good disposition and their color patterns make them a good choice for fanciers as well as farmers. A dual purpose bird with brown eggs, robust and very cold hardy. Well adaptable to confinement or foraging they are calm, industrious and usually docile birds.
    • Java -- Hens lay a respectable amount of large, brown eggs and will go broody. Javas are particularly known as good foragers, needing less supplementary feed than many breeds when allowed to free range. Like many large breeds, they are known to be docile in temperament, and hardy in inclement weather. In general, Javas are particularly suitable for keepers of smaller flocks who require a good dual-purpose chicken.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I had thought of them being "Canadian" and all but the straight run possibility of standard roos doesn't not enlighten me lol I have the Ameraucana already, great birds but would love some variety.

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thank you that gives me a good run down..

10. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    aww, just do like im trying to do, just get one of everything!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by