Will be hatching my first. What vaccinations-n-meds am I gonna need?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigoledude, Mar 15, 2011.

1. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    I plan on incubating my first eggs soon. I am hoping to be able to afford some breeder-stock, show quality eggs. What vaccinations and medications should I absolutely buy in the very beginning? And what are some common meds that I will most-likely need for raising chickens on a regular basis? What company is the best to buy from?

We raised champion field-trial dogs for many years and, provided them with some supplements. Because we started supplementing in the middle of our dog-raising years, we saw visible benefits in our dogs almost immediately. Is there supplements that provided obvious beneficial effects on y'alls birds? Please explain? Please?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Here's a source on vaccinating chickens: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps030

If
    you have a healthy flock, hopefully you won't need any meds other than, possibly, a bottle of BluKote or other anti=picking topical in case of minor injury, to mask blood, and the Neosporin type ointment you keep for yourself. Saline is an excellent wound cleanser and you can make it yourself as needed from salt and water.

3. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    I read the article and wonder, what precautions do the "average keeper of chickens" take? I will always have a triple-antibiotic ointment here for me, 10 grand-children and now, chickens. Now, I will have some BluKote and saline solution ready to go.

What other steps are you guys taking? Is anyone vaccinating your birds against virus's and stuff?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by