Will be raising chickens first time ever

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mainemom2005, Dec 19, 2013.

1. mainemom2005

mainemom2005 New Egg

Dec 19, 2013
    Hello,
    I will be getting some chickens in Febuary, March, I haven;t a clue what to do, or pick a breed. I am, thinking that 6 chickens is a good start. I have a coop already. Plus I need to be weary of mountain lions, so any tips will help. In southern california

Thanks
    Terry

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Welcome! Chickens are so fun! There is a lot of great information on this site as far as picking a breed and setting up. Happy exploring.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think the best way for you to start is to go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum. Locate and post on your state thread/ You will get first hand knowledge from those who have lived through your situation especially regarding predator control. Good luck. The very mention of mountain lions has made me nervous [​IMG]

4. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

OK. The advice I am going to give you is on breed selection.

I assume you probably won't be keeping roosters; and if you do you only want one in that small a flock.

If you have never kept chickens before, I suggest that you decide what you want them for.

If your goal is companionship and eggs, I will give you the classic advice handed out for generations - if you aren't sure of what you want, get a good utility strain of Barred Rocks.

For your first time keeping chickens, you want everything in your favor and is simple as possible. There is a tendency to mix breeds and colors, and this can lead to drama in the coop as different breeds have different levels of aggression and dominance, and some breeds tend to be human avoidant. Barred Rocks are very amenable in each other's company, and having all birds the same color, comb style, and size to start out with can simplify drama issues. They are also a quiet bird that does not fly, which helps with good relationships with the neighbors.

They are a heritage breed that is also productive. Ignore people who call them a "beginner breed" - generations of American farmers preferred them, and I don't think farm families remained beginners for decades. They are highly adapted for backyard coop situations, and if handled when young can become quite friendly and will sit in your lap. They are very hardy.

Make sure any chicks you buy are immunized for Marek's disease. Since you have never had chicks before you should consider seeing if you can order chicks immunized for coccidiosis, or feed a medicated chick starter.

Be sure and read up on how to care for your chicks before starting. The Chickens for Dummies book has good advice, and Robert Plamondon at www.plamondon.com has written an excellent book on raising chicks. He is one of the few people in the country who is able to send his children to college on what he earns as a pastured poultry farmer and he really knows what he is doing.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome to BYC and Happy Holidays!

6. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Cheers from Ohio! [​IMG]Glad you could join us! [​IMG] and HAPPY HOLIDAYS! (Good Luck!)

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

Good luck take care ..........

gander007 [​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012