Will blind chicken be picked on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alimerrick, Oct 17, 2011.

1. alimerrick

alimerrick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    Hi. Someone is rehoming their blind hen. I've always had a heart for special need animals and would like to take her. Do you think my other hens will pick on her to much? I do not have a rooster to keep their behavior in check. The blind chicken is standard size just like the rest of my girls & is not younger then them, in fact I think she's a little older. Any opinions? Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chickens pick on those different, strange, or weaker than themselves. As part of the normal pecking order, they will peck at her and once her vulnerability is determined they may become ruthless. I would be very reluctant to introduce a blind hen to an establishd flock.

3. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    I have a weak bird. She suffered some illness and injury a few months back. Every time that I have tried to "re-introduce" her to the flock, they start picking at her again. I have finally just taken the little Ware Chick-n-Hutch that they lived in as chicks and turned it into a home for her.

Please let us know how it works out, if you get her...you never really know...these chickens are certainly funny animals!

4. alimerrick

alimerrick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. I know they pick on chickens who are sick, etc - but my hope was that they might not even notice that the other chicken is different in some way. I'm not sure if I should take the chance - it would be difficult to keep them separate.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They will notice her difference because when they peck at her, and they will, she will panic and run away - this behavior will encourage them to assert themselves. I wish that I could say otherwise, but all my experiences over the past 70 years lead me to think that she will not be accepted. Sorry.

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:Unfortunately I agree, although bless your heart for wanting to. If it were chicks she grew up with, then the situation would be better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by