Will breast blisters get very thick and hard?

jschlaegel

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2021
I just took in a Silkie family from someone moving. Just noticed that one of the hens has what appears to be a breast blister. It's in the right place on her keel bone, but doesn't bother her at all, and only noticed it after I picked her up. But this one is extremely hard and large, and I've never seen one like it. It's about 2 1/2 inches long, and at least 9/16" thick. It does not appear to be fluid filled, unless it's just under so much pressure, but feels more fibrous than fluid. I can wiggle the whole thing, so it appears to originally formed as an abscess or growth on the skin, and there appear to be abrasion marks on the outermost surface that probably started it, or could be from it rubbing after it grew and hung down. There is no reddening around it, or any heat, so doesn't appear to have any type of infection. She was on a metal mesh floored coop at one time, before I got her. I soaked it, cleaned it, and am putting salve on it. She appears quite happy and healthy otherwise, with a couple chicks to take care of.

The questions are:
1. can a breast blister get this large and extremely hard? Is it something else, like a benign tumor or cyst?
2. other than salve treatments, any other treatment, since there doesn't appear to be anything to lance or syringe out?
3. since she will no longer have the metal mesh irritation on it, will it eventually just dry up and go away?

Attachments

• 20210623_092018.jpg
    20210623_092018.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 69
I have no answers to any of your questions. :idunno Maybe someone else will. I do suggest you keep an eye on it, so as to prevent Flystrike. Make sure it is not an open wound, at anytime. The wire grate may have been the contributing factor of this tumor developing.
I personally would clean of as best as possible, and apply some Blukote to it.
1624606029214.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Breast blisters begin with red skin from irritation, such as a rough roost, roosting on damp or soiled bedding, or staying on a roost all day long when legs are weak. They eventually may blister, become abscessed or become rough and thick. Cleaning it with a disinfectant, such as Betadine or chlorhexidene every day may help it to heal. Then using some coconut or other mild cream later when it is healing, may soften it. It could remain tough as a callous. Here is a good article about breast blisters:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ditions-of-poultry/breast-blisters-in-poultry

Thanks. Since I didn't have this hen when it would have started, I have no idea what it looked like at first. I know about breast blisters when they are small and developing, but just haven't seen one at this point, if it is, in fact, a calloused-over blister. The density doesn't feel like a callous though, being more fibrous [like a mast-cell tumor on a dog]. Actually, after applying salve a few times, it's larger than I thought... probably more than 3/4" thick. I make up my own natural salves for the critters around here, which works very well, but just not sure what the end game is with this large a growth. Since she isn't bothered by it and there's no infection or open wounds, I guess we'll find out as I keep applying salve.

Back
Top Bottom