1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will breeding black jersey giant roo to my 6-8 lb hens hurt the hens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chooniecat, Sep 9, 2009.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    OK-I am ignorant and we are trying to decide on a roo to get for my smallish hens(pretty much 6 lbs) and my son wants a black jersey giant(I have a limit to the hens I can get and didn't want a bjg hen so my son thinks our roo should be the jersey giant) but is it NOT a great idea to have a possibly 13 lb roo mounting my 6-8 lb hens(there will be appx 13 hens)?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    They are big roos. My Orps havent let him mount them. The Jersey girls are bigger and can handle it.
    They are very cool roosters though. "T" runs like a dinosaur and sounds like one to. I kept him and culled the orpington roo's. They were mean

3. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    with my minimal experience with chickens the roos can be pushy and I envision a 13 lb roo "getting" my 6 lb hen and I want to know if he can damage her. I really want a bjg and it would have to be the roo so another question is-will the eggs then be uncomfortable for the smaller hens to pop out? hey-these questions are from an ignorant person and I envision the fertile eggs(IF he mates with a small hen) to be large whereas they may be normal sized for her and if a mixed bjg/orp baby is hatched it will catch up (cause bjg ARE big)given its genetics???? I have confused myself.

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I really dont think there will be a problem with it. I would just keep an eye on them for a while and make sure the hens are okay. As for the eggs, they will be the size they are going to be.

5. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    One thing I know is the hen's egg will not change size. The chicks will be born small and just keep growing for longer to reach the giant size. Even BJG hens don't lay extra big eggs, the chicks just grow for longer. BJGs take significantly longer to mature and get to their full potential.

The other thing I've noticed is any rooster who doesn't have enough hens can hurt a hen. I'm sure if there is a huge size/weight difference he either won't be able to breed them, or he will squish them to get it done.

By the way...what breeds are your hens?

6. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    well-its a moot point now because I have ordered a salmon faverolles roo and my current hens are 3 aracauna, 2 buff orp and 1 new hampshire red. am going to pick up 1 each(pullets) salmon faverolles,speckled sussex,golden laced wyandotte,delaware, and golden campine in 2 weeks. I have only been doing this thoughtfully for a few months as all of my original hens were odd unknown breeds from feed store(had em for 6 1/2 yrs tho)(we guessed them to be black australorps). also would still like to do the black jersey giant roo in the future so will try to remember to have some of his own kind with him seperate. I am too excited(breathe)

7. Chickenlover20

Chickenlover20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    I have BJG roo with my Delawares and Buff Orpington hens, they breeding all fine.
    And my Roo is still growing more.
    So.. I have hens's eggs in my Inbator.
    Also i have a BJG hens too they havent started laying yet.
    Hopefully this month or so.
    I suggest you to watch for them. I watched my chickens everyday.

Picture of Delaware and BJG rooster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BJGS hens and rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by