will broody adopt 4 week olders

Beldenfarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 5, 2013
I have an extremely broody cochin, who will not stop with her broodiness. We have tried every trick in the book and she is still broody. We got 3 silkie chicks just as she was starting to be very broody, and they are now all 4 weeks old, and she has been constantly broody for at least 2-3 weeks, but the chicks small still since they are bantams. Is it too late to give the chicks to the broody? They are four weeks old!

any advice would be so helpful! Thank you

I have an extremely broody cochin, who will not stop with her broodiness. We have tried every trick in the book and she is still broody. We got 3 silkie chicks just as she was starting to be very broody, and they are now all 4 weeks old, and she has been constantly broody for at least 2-3 weeks, but the chicks small still since they are bantams. Is it too late to give the chicks to the broody? They are four weeks old!

any advice would be so helpful! Thank you
It all depends on the chicks' personalities. Are they super independent? Do they still act like they need a mother's care? My gut says they are too old and the broody my not accept them and the chicks may not accept her. But if they all seem to be needing each other, then maybe you can go ahead and do it. (Make sure to put them under her in the dark.)

Back
Top Bottom