Will broody adopt new chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feldon, Aug 7, 2007.

1. feldon

feldon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Everson WA
    Out of 6 eggs which I put under my broody buff orp, I had only one hatch out. These were not her own eggs, they were fertile from another hen. She absolutely adores her little chick...Peep.... and is being a wonderful mother. Next week the 18th or 19th I will have 11 day olds arriving from Ideal. I was wondering if it would work if I put them all with her instead of them going into the brooder. Do you think she would accept them? I was originally going to put 'Peep' in with them when they arrive, but she goes frantic when I take him out of the nest, so I think I'll just leave them together. She has taught him how to eat & drink, they seem to be inseperable.

3 Buffs, 2 RIRs, 2 Sexlinks, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Auracanas, 1 Welsummer & 11 day olds next week. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

She may or may not take them. I had a broody take five day old chicks with no problem when her babies were about a week old. I have, however, heard of disasters, so if I were you, I'd try it but be very careful.

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I advise putting the new chicks in with momma hen late in the evening. And go out and check on them first thing in the morning. You might also consider having a place for the chicks to get away from the momma, in case she gets mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by