Will broody chooks accept an orphaned wood duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckdown, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Duckdown

Duckdown Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    Hi there,

I have a silkie hen that hatched 3 chicks yesterday. Today (I am with Wildcare) an orphaned black duckling came into our care so I popped it under the silkie hen with chicks hoping for the best.

This afternoon we found the duckling hiding out under some plants in the enclosure. Is it likely the hen has kicked the duckling out or that the duckling has wandered looking for Mum?

Duckling is now in the brooder on it's own - if there's any chance the hen will accept it, I think it's better off with her and the chicks rather than being on its own.

Any advice guys?

Cheers,
    Kelly.

2. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Hi there, It's unlikely the chicken will accept it now it has imprinted on her own chicks, if it were the day the chicks hatched would be different, but stranger things have happened, and silkies are very maturnal. You could try confining them to a smaller pen so the duckling cannot wonder away, or you could see if you have any other carers that may have some of the same to team up with, good luck, keep us posted [​IMG]

3. Duckdown

Duckdown Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    Thanks for that Bemba.

Question - I have another broody silkie hen (she's not sitting on anything). Do u think it would be worth seeing if she would take the duckling seeing as she's not had anything to imprint on?

Worst case the duckling will be raised in the brooder (which we've done before) but I was hopeful I might be able to leverage off mother nature's abilities through these broody hens.

Thanks for getting back to me too.

Cheers,
    Kelly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by