Will broody Golden Phoenix hen hatch eggs other than her own, safely?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ptig78d, May 5, 2009.

1. ptig78d

ptig78d Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Bucksport, ME
    We have a Golden Phoenix hen that has gone broody. We keep taking the eggs out from under her...she just growls...hasn't snapped at us yet...but I still wear leather gloves to gather eggs.
    I'm thinking that the best thing to do is let her sit on tomorrow's clutch of eggs, moving her to a seperate nest. We only have the one main nest box, but I tried to help out with making another nest box from a drawer...placed directly under the main nest box.
    We have 2 barred rock hens, 5 RIR hens, and 3 GP's...
    I was wondering if she would sit on these eggs in the other nest, until they hatch....and let the other hens continue to use the main nest box....that is, if she doesn't abandon the new nesting box and go back inside the main one?
    I've heard that Phoenix hens are great mama's.....I'm just hoping she won't freak out when they don't look like her?
    Would the hen that layed that egg recognize it's own young and raise it?
    Hmm....sounds like an interesting experiment.
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I'm still a newbie but your phoenix hen cant tell the difference between her chicks or another hens chicks. Just set them under her and when they hatch she'll protect them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by