Will broody hen sit on duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mysto, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Mysto

Mysto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    I have an EE that is bound and determined to brood. I do not have a rooster, so for her, it will be all for nothing [​IMG] I have a friend who has fertile duck eggs but the ducks are not sitting on them. Could I give my hen some duck eggs to hatch?? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

thanks!

2. Katy_didnot

Katy_didnot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Beaverton, Oregon
    I've heard of it being done.

3. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Yes. I have done it before.

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    There is a post of the duck board of a hen and her little ducklings. I think it was titled duckins or something like that. Good luck [​IMG]

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    absolutely, they don't care. my banty cochin hatched two ducks this summer. she got very upset when they started swimming. good luck [​IMG]

6. Chicken Crazy12

Chicken Crazy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I have done this twice, and the hens treat them like they are chicks and the little ducks, well its just mom to them. I have some under hen right now. Good Luck!!!![​IMG]

7. Mysto

Mysto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    thanks all! Sounds like I will give it a try...I just feel so bad for my girl...she wants to be a mama [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  8. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    yes and they will also sit on goose, turkey, quail, and guinea eggs, all of which i have done =]

9. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

in indonesia, people believe duck can't hatch any eggs that is why they take all of the eggs to broody hen here, and that's why i'm the most confused man on BYC that found out many people abroad let the duck hatch, i'm really really confused. [​IMG]

10. chevel

chevel New Egg

May 7, 2014
    Does anyone have experience with placing goose eggs under chickens. We have hatched duck eggs successfully in the past with chicken. However, these eggs we got seem so large. Late this evening I tried switching out the eggs under our somewhat broody dorking for 4 buff goose eggs and she is now sitting off to the side wondering what the heck they are!
    We also have a banty chochin extremely broody - I think she can only fit one under her.
    I have read that goose eggs are too big for the bantys to maneuver and turn. Has anyone had success with a banty on a goose egg? and should we manually turn them everyday as suggested.
    We had a total of 4 sent through the mail and our goal is to hatch two for pets for my boys.
    Thanks for any advice you may have

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by