Will broody hen still sit with no eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MaineChick, Jul 18, 2010.

1. MaineChick

MaineChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    I've got a Sussex that just decided to go broody yesterday for the first time. She's 16 months old and seems quite definite about it. I've already got a Sussex halfway through a clutch and don't really want more chicks, as much as I like to allow the flock to "do their thing".

1. If I keep removing eggs from under the second hen, will she give up and quit brooding?

2. If I give up and let her, are eggs that have been refrigerated viable eggs to put under her? (That's all I have right now, it's been so hot I've been putting them in the refrigerator as soon as I collect them)

Thanks for your help!

2. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    1. No she will not stop and keep doing her thing in my experience. (I recently gave in lol)
    2. I don't think so but I'm not 100% on that.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:I have two sitting on eggs. I tried to break them to no avail. Of course it could've been due to the fact that I keep wooden eggs in nest boxes. But then I had one who insisted on sitting in a nest with no eggs at all. I tried holding her and spraying her belly with cold hose and she is now sitting on eggs. I gave up.
    My advice if you've got a couple of fertile eggs let her have them. Mutts anything. Then give the chicks away after a week or two. Or keep one and give the other away.
    If you don't want broody hens sell or trade her out for another less likely broody breed.
    RIR's or Dels. I have Dels and only one has gone broody. Some breeds don't go until they're older 2-3 years, which is what one of my Dels is. Dels are great layers so you may have good luck with them.

Hope all goes well and you post pics

Rancher

4. 500592

500592 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    You Should Try Using Some Fake Eggs And Them After Awhile She Will Get Bored :d

5. hondo58

hondo58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    We had great results with refrigerated eggs in our incubator.

Last edited: May 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by