Will Broody take care of 3-week old?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shrader, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    After sitting on her clutch for 23 days, it's clear none of my broody hen's eggs are going to hatch.
    I found a 3 week old chick that I can give her to take care of, will she do it?
    Will she accept an older chick as her own and get over her broodiness?
    Thanks.

2. rjv_piper

rjv_piper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Utah
    She might, but you have to put it under her, and watch her closely so she doesn't scalp it.

3. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    put it under her at nite so she can hear it . Hopefully she will accept it and acknowledge its cries as her babies. If she starts to peck it all bets are off.
    You might also try giving broody mom a few fake eggs so she will stay broody for a few more days. As she does so she hopefully will also get use to the little one talk. Wait a few days - take the fake eggs away and she will have the little one to mother. Make sure the little one is eating and drinking and keeping under her wings at nite. Good luck

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  4. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the advice you guys.

I'll keep this little chick warm today then put her under the broody hen with a couple fake eggs tonight. [​IMG]

5. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I read that hatched chicks can be placed under a broody that's been setting for a couple weeks. You do it at night.

My Q has to do with chicks from a hatchery . . . do you have to quarantine them? How is that done?

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I can already tell you that it won't work. If the chick is already used to being without a momma and being without older chickens, the chick will reconize the broody hen as a threat. The chick will probobly run away from the broody hen. And the hen will try to peck him because she already knows its not her chick by the way it runs away from her. I wouldn't risk it. But you can try it.....
    If you do want to give her chicks to take care of, make sure they are a day old. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by