1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will button quail eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beepbeepinajeep, May 11, 2009.

1. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    wiggle like we see our chicken eggs wiggle close to hatch time?[​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I have heard people say they do [​IMG]

3. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    Mine did [​IMG]

4. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    After posting last night I saw some wiggling. DH saw that the bator was getting too hot & adjusted it & it was in the 80s this AM (today is day 18). Any bets? I bet none will hatch now:hit

5. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    I just read button quail hatch at day 16... so maybe we're out of luck anyway:(

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Buttons will hatch day 16 to 19. You never know exactly when. Quail don't always hatch on a certain day like chickens. I've had a late hatch when my temps were high all incubation and an early hatch when I thought for sure they'd be late. You just have to wait.

I've never seen any of my quail eggs wiggle or even make a peep. They sit there frustratingly silent all day long. Then suddenly when I'm not looking a quail pops out. Seriously sometimes they just appear. I checked the bator, saw nothing, sat down at my computer, and then wondered why my dog was sniffing the bator less than 10mins later. Look in and there's a little button chick racing about.

7. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    You should do another quail cam so they can see what it looks like ,, hint hint [​IMG]

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Quote:Very true. I hatch in trays and they are so fast and clean that sometimes you can't even tell the egg hatched because the top is back on. I've never had them hatch any earlier than day 18.

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I've had about half hatch day 16 and half day 17 with one really late hatch going day 19.

Most of my hatching is suspended until fall. I'm gonna be gone for weeks at a time this summer and it doesn't help I don't have a turner. However if I get everything set up for the chickens so I don't have seramas and japanese bantams all over my house and all the extra coturnix butchered I might be doing some buttons in a month. I got eggs from imported birds and hatched 7 chicks with interesting markings that should be laying this next month.

10. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Mine never rocked or wiggled either.. Only one did.. And when I finally broke it open.. It was half dryed out.. Only one though..

If you take one of the eggs out. And put it up to your ear.. And gently tap or scratch it. You can usually hear movement or tiny peeps.. At least mine did.. Was my first hatch.. Mine hatched 17 and 18.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by