1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will California SEFS laws affect the selection of egg laying breeds?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by stumpknocker, Mar 22, 2016.

1. stumpknocker

stumpknocker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    From the limited reading I have done concerning egg laying breeds, it appears that some of the heritage breeds such as the Brown Leghorn, California White and Grey were replaced in modern times with smaller breeds that would fit in more compact cages. With the California SEFS lay enacted where chickens must be allowed to perch and move about, I was wondering if there have been any new trends on favoring the old breeds (vs White Leghorns and sex linked hybrids)

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The compact cages really doesn’t have anything to do with it. Chickens have been selectively bred by geneticists (no GMO involved) to be extremely efficient in converting feed to eggs. The chickens being smaller means they can be more efficient in that because they don’t have to use as much feed to support the smaller bodies. They’ve come up with hybrid crosses that outperform the older heritage breeds regardless of how much room they have.

3. stumpknocker

stumpknocker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    I see. The reason I ask is tha I've heard that the California grey "breed" has become scarce despite producing 300 eggs/year, and one possible reason was it didn't fit well in the small cages. But that might have been a misleading internet article

4. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA
    The CA Grey and the CA White are both sex linked hybrids, not a heritage pure breed. The Brown Leghorn and the White Leghorn are both a heritage Standard bred "purebred" bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by