Will Call Ducks Breed With Big Ducks?

ANightPerson

Songster
7 Years
Oct 22, 2016
Massachusetts
A few months ago, my boss purchased two Call Ducks. They are very nice and were very expensive. She hates them. She gave them to me only two days after she got them, because she wanted me to tame them. My ducks that I raised are incredibly sweet. They're like dogs, they'll just sit ok your lap, and snuggle up, and they even give kisses. Even after they were tame enough, she doesn't want them. So, now they're mine. There's a very tiny Magpie hen named Titty (I SWEAR I DIDN'T NAME HER) that's been mating with my drake. The problem is my drake is more than four times her size. Luckily, she is not laying in the current season, but when she does, my fear is that she'll brood with him. His chicks would be far too big for her eggs, so I was wondering if I should separate them, or would their breeding really not be a big deal? As long as there's no problem with the chicks, I'm completely fine with it. They're the only two Magpies that I have.

There will be no problem with the ducklings, but there is always potential for an extremely large drake to injure a much smaller hen while breeding her simply because of his weight..

I'm not really afraid that they'll come out wrong, I'm afraid that they'll be too big for the eggs. I'm not even sure if that can happen, but I don't want to risk it.

They will not be too big for the egg. Chicks or ducklings can only grow to the limits of the egg.
idunno.gif

Your greater concern should be towards physical injury to a small hen from a drake four times her size.

Ok, thank you. He's bred her multiple times this week, and nothing has gone wrong so far. She's a great breeder, she doesn't fight back. I honk that that's why she's the only one that he wants to breed with. I'll definitely keep an eye on her though.

First indication of pelvic injury is generally limping on the part of the hen - cause for immediate separation. Also if they are breeding in water there is the possibility of drowning if it takes him excessive time to complete the mating.

A few months ago, my boss purchased two Call Ducks. They are very nice and were very expensive. She hates them. She gave them to me only two days after she got them, because she wanted me to tame them. My ducks that I raised are incredibly sweet. They're like dogs, they'll just sit ok your lap, and snuggle up, and they even give kisses. Even after they were tame enough, she doesn't want them. So, now they're mine. There's a very tiny Magpie hen named Titty (I SWEAR I DIDN'T NAME HER) that's been mating with my drake. The problem is my drake is more than four times her size. Luckily, she is not laying in the current season, but when she does, my fear is that she'll brood with him. His chicks would be far too big for her eggs, so I was wondering if I should separate them, or would their breeding really not be a big deal? As long as there's no problem with the chicks, I'm completely fine with it. They're the only two Magpies that I have.
I have two Call Hens with my Welsh Drake and he breeds them without any concerns from me.....I have a Call Drake also and he can only breed my big Hens in the Kiddie pool or the larger rubber stock bowl of water....Sour Land is correct, they will fit the eggs....

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom