Will cats kill chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by katelk, Jan 22, 2014.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    There is a stray cat who has been hanging around my yard all day today and is now asleep on my porch. I tried everything to get it off my property from physically taking it off my property to trying to scare it away. It keeps coming right back and what's more, when I came home from a meeting earlier and was unlocking the door, it came up and started rubbing against my leg and tried to come inside with me!!
    I am worried that despite my efforts, it will try to stay. The majority of the day I was keeping it from slipping into the chicken yard. I even shot it with a BB gun and it wasn't phased.
    I am worried about what to do if it's still hanging around when it comes time to let the birds out in the morning. Will a cat hurt or kill a chicken? How can I get this cat away from my property? I am hesitant to take it to a shelter, as it is obviously comfortable around people and it may be someone's pet in my area. Advice please!

2. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    Cats will most definitely kill chickens! Not all, but they are opportunistic and will if they are hungry. Sounds like someones house cat that got out. I would try to catch it and put it in a kennel or something similar and try to find its home in the morning. That way you won't be keeping the chickens locked up and the poor thing is obviously someones pet and is probably missed! I personally would not take it to the shelter for a couple days if you can't find the owner

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by