1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will cherry pits hurt my chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Okie Amazon, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    We were leaving Wally World and drove around back just as they were filling a dumpster with BLACK CHERRIES. There was probably 500 pounds of the things! We went back to the house and came back with 5 gal. buckets and trash bags. There was also about 300# of bananas - most of which were only slightly speckled. Many tomatoes, 90% of which weren't so much as bruised! We gathered them, + some mangoes, corn, cucumbers, all of which were just perfect. WTH is wrong with them throwing out all that perfectly edible, and in the case of the cherries, unbelievably expensive food?

Anyway, I froze about 60 pounds of perfectly white and firm bananas, which will make cool treats for the chickens. The tomatoes they devoured immediately, so I froze a couple of kitchen bags of those too. The cherries I washed and sorted and maybe one in 10 had a soft spot on it, mostly just from the weight of them. I froze many of those, plus filled a whole side of my crisper drawer with them. The rest I just dumped out on the compost heap, where the calves immediately went into a head-butting contest trying for the biggest share of them. Oddly enough, the cucumbers were the only thing the goats cared for. They happily crunched into them, but wouldn't touch the cherries or tomatoes or bananas. I had set aside the few bananas I found that had soft spots to feed the chickens the next morning, but the calves ate them in the night.

I didn't feed a whole lot of the cherries to the chickens yet because I saw they were eating the whole thing/pit and all and I wanted to ask about those being harmful if they ate too many.

2. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I wondered the same thing! I cant' believe all that food was thrown out!! There's soo many people that go without food and they waste dumpster full ?!?!

I went to a local wallmart and asked what they did with their stale buns (for the chickens) and they are NOT allowed to give them away even for animals! isn't that ridiculous. Even the employee thought it was a waste.

3. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    They probably wont eat the pits, but just an FYI, they are a natural source of arsenic. Too many swallowed can hurt a person, but I think some chickesn are a little smarter than that.

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Czech's_chicks :

They probably wont eat the pits, but just an FYI, they are a natural source of arsenic. Too many swallowed can hurt a person, but I think some chickesn are a little smarter than that.

The arsenic is within the pit. Unless the pit is chewed, arsenic is not an issue.​

5. Melinda48

Melinda48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    I was wondering about the pits. Guess the small amount I have to "share" will not hurt them. The leftover thing is a government regulation. These companies are not allowed to dispose of raw (or cooked) food by giving it away. Don't understand why-gleaning is a perfectly acceptable practice. Sometimes we know best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by