Will chickens and pygmies get along-------Hmmm?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pinkchick, Jun 4, 2008.

1. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Two days ago I got two new additions to the farm, with two new additions SOOOOOON to follow. These two Pygmy goats that are the sweetest things you've ever seen (they think they are dogs) stand next to the chicken coop all day long...not moving from the fence....the chickens come over and the goats smell them and the chickens don't do anything, in fact the hens don't really notice them I think. But Mr. Foghorn a newly rescued young Leghorn seems to be glued to the fence where the goats are. He does nothing ...no crowing, no pecking, nothing just lays there.
    I had a thought!
    Keeping in mind that I just rescued Mr. Foghorn a fews days ago, only had my hens for three weeks and my daughters brought home 12 new chicks on Sunday that are living in the coop as well, I have worried about losing eggs and interrupting my hens schedules but they seem to be doing fine....still laying 4 eggs one day and 2 the next and so on, but back to my thought. There seems to be a connection with Mr. Foghorn and the goats. I wonder what would happen if I let the goats in to their coop? I've heard stories of a lonely goat living with a lonely hen being a success.

What do you think ? This way I could enlarge my coop yard to sort of a free range, with a goat house. Can they co-exist?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Ah, I was gonna say. . . . . [​IMG]

3. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    My 3 pygmys are with a couple dozen pasture chickens. They all come to the same shed to sleep and have for the past 3 years. I have had only one problem...one of the chickens foot was steped on and it broke a toe.

4. bkterry

bkterry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    We've had chickens for over a year and just recently got 2 pygmies (a billy and a nanny) in April. The goats and the chickens have got along from day one, and the goats will even try to sleep in the coop at night. Of course, my only problem with that is that the billy likes to pee in the straw, so I make sure to move them back to their own pen. They seem to get along great, and I've even seen the billy with a chicken or two perched on his back picking through his fur! [​IMG]

5. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    I don't have experience with goats, but my sheep and the chickens get along wonderfully. The only problem (and I'm sure goats would be the same) is the sheep LOVE chicken feed, but it isn't good for them and can make them sick. As long as you can find a way to keep the goats from eating the chicken feed, I'd think it'd work.

Jess

6. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes they get along great but the goats will eat the chicken feed [​IMG]. Our goats pig out and go crazy over the chicken feed, the chickens love to stand on the goats very cute. We just don't let the goats in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by