Will chickens bother AC Condenser?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ambrowright, Mar 11, 2015.

1. ambrowright

ambrowright New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    arizona
    I have a 50' x 8' space I'd like to put about 4 chickens in to run around during the day, but my condenser is right in the middle of the space! Will it be okay? Do I need to protect it? If so, how?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If they can get on top of it, they will. Can you put some fencing around it?

3. ambrowright

ambrowright New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    arizona
    Hm....It can be done! I was just hoping chickens mysteriously hated AC condensers and stayed well away from them. Haha. Thanks!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd be concerned with the hot air blowing out of it......in an already hot climate.
    Hopefully the space has shade and is open to any possible breezes.
    Actually the hot air blowing out of the unit might keep them away from it, but I'd still fence it off with wire including the top.

5. the ladies mom

the ladies mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Arkansas
    My ac guy also has chickens so this is what he told me. My hens are free range but they love the protection of where my unit is and would get behind, around etc it. The problem is the amount of dirt they kick up as they go about their day. He told me the dirt would greatly reduce the efficiency of the fins of the unit so he recommended me to fence it off and be sure to wash it with the hose at least weekly if they were really around it a lot. We also put in a new unit last year and raised it off the ground about 18 inches which has helped with the dirt.

Hope this helps.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Do you have ANY other option for a run for them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by