Will chickens come out of the cold on their own?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sandman, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Sandman

Sandman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2007
    Will chickens come out of the cold on their own? They've been roosting outside for the all summer and now its cold, but they still roost outdoors. Should I remove these roosts to make them come inside to roost?

later,

Sandman

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    They'll roost indoors if they get cold enough. Ours would rather roost outside at night in 20 degree weather than go into the coop. At around 18-19 degrees, a few of them will be inside the coop roosting with the remainder still outdoors.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

3. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Ours have definately shown a preference of the coop. they will go outside and if the weather turns cold, off they go to the coop. It took 2 nights of sending them to bed before they stopped sleeping outside.

4. Sandman

Sandman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2007
    awesome, thanks for the help

5. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Sandman, just to be specific - for 2 evenings after I finished the coop, I just picked them up and put them inside. After that they went inside themselves.

6. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    Ours won't come out of the coop now that it's cold:D We open the door every day, they come out on the ramp look at the snow and go right back in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by