Will chickens eat airsoft bbs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Zaxby's2, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I'm sure we have them scattered around the yard and since our chickens free range I was wondering if I should be concerned? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Chickens will eat anything! Even BBs.

3. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Will it hurt them? Won't they realize it's not food after eating it once and move on?

4. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    please do not let your chickens eat BB's, if they eat to many it can cause an impacted crop which can lead to death [​IMG]

P.S. I know from experience [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    What can I do to make sure they don't eat them?

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they lead or are they slightly magnetic? If lead, that is bad for all birds and shouldn't ever be used. If they are magnetic, you could put a magnet on a stick and pick them up buy sweeping the area with the magnet.
    Otherwise, I don't know, other than start being more careful about where you shoot and try to pick up what you can.

7. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Airsoft are plastic.

8. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I have a few around my yard and have not noticed my flock eating them. I know they try everything at least once but have not seen them try to eat any yet.

9. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I'll guess I'll just try and make sure that where we do airsoft is far away from where the chickens would be free ranging. Anyone else have suggestions/experience regarding this problem?

10. Don in SC

Don in SC Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Mt. Rest
    My birds would pick the AS BB's up in thier beak and run arround with them when they were young. After awhile they would drop them. Most times they would drop them near thier coop. I just pick them up and throw them away. I've never seen a chicken eat one. I was more like they wanted someone to chase them. I think they know the BB's are not food and just are having a bit of fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by