will chickens eat ants ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by asooomaa, Sep 14, 2009.

1. asooomaa

asooomaa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2009
    Switzerland
    I want to ask this question because I didn't see any of my chickens eat ants, even big ones ( ants ), why ??

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Some chickens like them. Some do not.

3. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    My Silkie loves them. She'll camp out next to an ant hill and eat them as they surface.[​IMG]

4. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    I have lots of different ants on my property but the girls don't touch them. However, one time I turned over a log and disturbed an ant nest. The girls went nuts eating ant eggs! They literally grabbed the eggs out of the pincers of the ants who were frantically struggling to relocate them! Ant caviar?

5. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Mine won't touch ants - we have the little red ones - but they also love the eggs!

6. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    We have ant hill where we are and my girls love them. Before we had the chickens we were overrun with ants. Since the girls have got here we will have an ant hill pop up and its gone soon after. I love it. I don't have to buy ant killer. We have not put any chemicals on the grass this year. Thank you chickens.

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

mine won't.

8. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Some will, some won't. None of the ones I have currently are fans. As a matter of fact, none of the ones I have currently will eat any bug I point out to them. They, apparently, don't trust me.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've never seen mine eat them, but I've heard many people say theirs do. I guess we just have too many grasshoppers for them to bother!

I did see one of my OEG pullets catch and eat a wasp today though, that one was a bit surprising!

10. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine love the ant eggs and will only eat the the bigger black ants. they dont seem to like the smaller red ants. My hens come a running when they see me flip over rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by