Will chickens eat banana peels??? Will it hurt them???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cjeanean, Jul 4, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Sorry, this is my second post in two days about scraps, but does anyone feed banana peels to their chickens??? I'm just wondering, I've had a lot of scraps for them in prep for the 4th. Thanks!!!

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I know it's a holiday, but does anyone have any idea???

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I tried it along time ago and if my limited experience is anything, I'd say not with any great relish and no, the peels wont hurt them. Oh theyll peck at them some and decide they arent worth the trouble - 'bout like you or I would.

But go ahead and test my theory.

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Thanks!!! My mom wants to fill my run with banana peels, and I didn't want to clean them up if the chickens didn't eat them!!! HAPPY 4TH!!!!

5. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

by chickens LOVE bannanas! but not the peels so much.. i just thro the peel under the roses.. the roses love the peels.. its good for them..lol.

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Really? I have never heard this before. Don't they attract ants?

7. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

i have never noticed ants... but if gives them extra nutriants and i have noticed i get more blooms. [​IMG] hey u live in oregon too!!!! COOL!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Yes, I do [​IMG]

I will have to try that for my roses. Lol I didn't do a thing to them this year - no pruning, no spraying, no weeding or dead-heading - and mine have gone insane. I'm thinking I should be more lazy every year [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by