Will chickens eat granulated fertilizers, pre-emergents etc??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dianneS, Apr 8, 2010.

1. dianneS

dianneS Songster

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I have used Preen, a pre-emergent for weeds in my flower beds. It is in a granular form. I left it on for several days and kept my chickens inside. I also waited until we had some rain to get the granuals to dissolve. I don't have a hose long enough to reach all of my beds, so I can't hose it all in.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if chickens will try to eat granulated chemicals like lawn fertilizers and pre-emergents. I've never used any lawn fertilizers, but I may in the future and want to know how long I should keep my chickens off of the lawn? I'm really concerned about the Preen though, because I need it to suppress my weeds and if my chickens have eaten it then I'm in big trouble!

2. KingGnome

KingGnome Hatching

Apr 8, 2010
    Albuquerque
    I wouldn't recommend letting them near it. Preen is toxic and has been known to contaminate water. Chickens will eat anything that looks good to them! Recently I painted my toenails red and have been gardening in flip flops so my birds have been chasing my toes around trying to get a good bite.... Maybe go with something more organic like Corn Gluten they can eat it if they want to and it keeps the weeds under control.

"Since corn gluten meal is used as food for mammals, birds, and fish, EPA does not expect it to cause adverse effects for these animals."
    http://www.pesticide.org/pubs/alts/cgm/cornglutenmeal.html

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  3. redturtle

redturtle Songster

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    or vinegar in a spray bottle...it may take several applications but it works...just be careful not to spray anything u want to keep [​IMG]

4. Tracy in MO

Tracy in MO In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Saint Joseph, MO
    I think I just saw my Roo eat some preen. I got him away real fast. I had watered it in and kept them away for a week. I think he did ingest a few granules. If he gets hurt, I am going to be devastated. I probably should have just lived with weeds. Fingers crossed that he's ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by