Will chickens eat safflower, black oil sunflower and thistle seeds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pederson3, Oct 20, 2009.

1. pederson3

pederson3 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Cody
    Hello, I am trying to reduce my sparrow population as they are eating my chickens out of house and home. Trapping has been slow going. I read that they don't like safflower seeds, black oil sunflower seeds and niger thistle seeds. My chickens are of course molting, so I thought this would be a great time to try this but I don't want them to starve. Thanks!!!!

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes

3. dsedler

dsedler Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Well, I know mine love black oil sunflowers, not sure about the others. However, it is not suitable as the only source of feed. I just give it as a treat.

4. pederson3

May 11, 2009
    Cody
    Great, thanks so much. I was afraid I would buy it all and those would be the only thing in the world chickens don't like. Thanks again.

5. pederson3

May 11, 2009
    Cody
    Quote:Just for afew weeks so the sparrows will hopefully take a hike. Thanks

6. dsedler

dsedler Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    No, not even for just a few weeks. In just a few weeks, you could have some dead birds. Figure out a way to make your food inaccessable to the sparrows. Don't kill your chickens just to try and get rid of birds. Or, maybe feed the birds birdseed somewhere far away from the chicken food. Maybe if they have their own food, they won't eat the chickens food.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine will eat all the stuff that is in wild bird seed, I give them one cup per day (max) as a treat - just like scratch.

It's not bad for them, but the max protein is like 14% or so (read the bag) Chickens need EXTRA protein when moulting, like 20%+ so please do not feed it as their main food!!!

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Sunflower Seed................. 16% protein 24% fat
    Hulled Sunflower seed....... 24% protein 41% fat
    Safflower Seed.................. 15% protein 31% fat

Chris

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:What Protein is your feed that your feeding?

Chris

10. lealea44

lealea44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2014
    Headland, AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by