Will Chickens eat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Poultrybonkers, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Baby mice if they found them? Or will they just play with them?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sometimes it depends on the breed, some breeds will be more likely than others to have at the mice some breeds won't bother. LF heritage birds and breeds with more gameness will be more likely to have at it. Foo-Foo breeds just get sckeeered and run off. Either way rodents carry alot of unsavory pest so I would get rid of it as soon as you can and think about a few minor deterents to mice.

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I've read postings from others that they will eat them. I've never seen mine do this.

4. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    Quote:I was cleaning out my fire pit and found a nest a smashed one with the shovel and my chickens took the others not sure if they ate it or not. wasn't sure if they would.

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

My chickens go crazy for them. [​IMG] They actually hunt for them in the barns!

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    yeah, they will eat them. I was moving around firewood one day and found a nest. The birds came running and fought over them.

7. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    Quote:My girls were going crazy to. [​IMG]

8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    honestly, I don't think there is very much they WON'T eat :0

9. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    ALL of the poultry listed on my signature line eat baby mice. Some of our birds hunt for them in the fence rows. The larger birds...Brahmas and Muscovies especially also eat the adult mice. Muscovies swallow them whole and the Brahmas slap them on the ground repeatedly until something comes loose...you get the picture.

Geese don't eat them although this year for the first time I saw heavy breed goslings eating insects. That was a new one on me! You can always learn something new.

I will never forget a visit to the neighboring farm long ago. He had thrown a deer carcass in his run. It was almost down to only bone when I saw it. Chickens were just picking off bits and eating them. What a stench!

10. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    My ducks love mice and kill them all the time! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by