Will Chickens Ever Get Along?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by briter30, Oct 12, 2011.

1. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    I have had 3 Easter Egger chickens for 5 months. We decided to get 3 new chickens almost a week ago. The first 2 days, we took the new chickens and put them in a chicken tractor next to the chicken run where our chickens stay. Then for 3 days, we put the new chickens inside the run inside an EX-LARGE dog. Today, we let them inside the chicken run/coop (run is 12 x 8). My original chickens won't let them eat or drink. They chase and peck them and pull out feathers. Will this most likely improve or not?

Note: One of the new chickens is the same size as my original chickens and the other 2 are a little smaller and younger.

2. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    I actually sorta have the same problem. One of our chickens couldn't walk, so we brought her in the house for about a month to take care of her, and now, about half a year later, she's still in the house because the other chickens won't let her back. [​IMG]

3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I had to integrate two younger pullets in with my existing twelve. They were about half the size and a couple of months younger. The older birds attempted to kill the younger birds. So I pulled them back out and gave them a week to have the wounds heal.

I then pulled all the older birds out and switched places with the younger birds. Young birds in the coop/run by themselves and older birds in the brooder shed. I left them this way for 24 hours. Then each night when everyone had gone to roost, I would take the gentlest older bird and add them to the roost with the young birds. In the mornings I would keep an eye on everyone to make sure there was no bloodshed. I slowed it down an extra day here and there if things seemed tense.

The younger birds still hang together away from the rest, but they've been living together with no blood drawn for the last month.

It took me two weeks to blend them, your situation of course would be much quicker.

Good luck,
    Deb

4. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Thanks for sharing. Keep the ideas coming!

5. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    I always just sectioned off some if the run and put the new chickens in there.
    They can all have their own space, but can still see each other through the fence.
    Then after a couple days I'd let them all run around together for a while under close supervision.
    Then I'd separate them again and continue to combine the two groups until they weren't fighting at all.

6. mamadukes5

mamadukes5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Easthampton, Mass
    I added two new birds to my original four and the same kind of thing went on. The four originals were mean to the babies, and I spent a lot of time standing in between them while they were eating and what not. My dh built the two new girls a coop that was bigger than the original four had, because I planned to put them all in the new house once they were getting along. During the days, I let them run the yard and the four originals hung out, and the two baby girls would avoid them. Every night they would go into the same run and go in their respective houses. I took the nicest of the orignal four and put her in the new house with the babies for a couple of nights, since she didnt peck them. The third night I went out to move her and lock up the coops, and found all six of them in the new house. With the exception of one of the reds who is just a pain in the butt, I haven't had anymore difficulties with any of them. They all go into the same coop at night and there hasnt been any fighting about it, so I now use the original smaller coop to store food and bedding for them. I think I got lucky, but it did work.

7. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    I've found adding additional birds to the coop at night and having them wake up together works very well. If there's problems, I add a red light as it keeps pecking down. Oddly enough, I've found popping them in next to the rooster works best for us as he's very protective of his ladies.

So far, so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by