Will chickens follow their mobile henhouse around the yard?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrybumpkinNYS, Sep 24, 2010.

1. countrybumpkinNYS

countrybumpkinNYS New Egg

Sep 13, 2010
    I have three 15-week-old Rhode Island Red hens in a mobile coop that's been in the same place for about four weeks. I let the hens range free for most of every day, and they always go back to their coop when they're frightened and to roost at night. I want to move the coop today but I'm afraid the hens will go back to the location where the coop was, not to where I move it. Should I move it with them inside and then keep them inside until they get used to the new l ocation?

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I moved my 10x10 run 2 times before I got the coop built. The chickens (12) went to the run at night each time I moved it, not to where it had been.

3. MTFarm

MTFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    I've never had trouble moving our tractor. What kind of distance are you talking? If it's to a new area completely you might cut the distance and do it in steps if you're concerned but like I said, ours have always done just fine.

4. countrybumpkinNYS

Sep 13, 2010
    Thanks! I'm not moving it far at all--maybe a dozen feet.

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    My coops get moved every other day and they never have any problem finding it. And, we move them while they are out free ranging.

6. countrybumpkinNYS

Sep 13, 2010
    I figured that if I moved the coop every day or so they'd have no problem, and I did so for the first couple of weeks. Then I decided I really didn't want them to be mobile, so I've left it in one spot. When they run to it, they run headlong, flapping and half-flying. It didn't look like they were even looking--just going by memory. That's why I worried that they'd return to the location, not the coop in its new spot. Anywhere, they're in there now and I'm keeping them there a few hours. When I let them out, I think they'll be cautious again about straying too far at first. We'll see.... But thanks to everyone who responded. This definitely is a learning experience (and fun!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by