Will chickens follow you to a pen in the morning?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sierrarod, Jan 29, 2011.

1. sierrarod

sierrarod Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Reedley
    I have a very large grassy area I can fence in for the chickens, but it is a ways away from the shed I want to use as a coop. Is it possible to lead them to the grassy area every morning and put them in the shed at night?

Thanks!
    Kisa

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Do you chickens like treats by any chance? How many chickens do you have?

3. sierrarod

sierrarod Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Reedley
    No chickens yet. In the planning stages.

4. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

I can get my chickens to follow me to the moon for meal worms and scratch. They even come when i call them with a certain word/tone because they know I have treats..they actually lift off the ground in chicken flight to get to the treats. Choose a tasty treat and serve it up for a while in the same type container and make the same noise each time and they will get the idea.

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    For a few treats, my chickens will follow me anywhere!

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    If you only have a "Few" then you could just carry them over to their garden spot. [​IMG]

7. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I have 4 backyard chickens and when I open my back door, the alarm door beeper goes off ("beep beep beep back door" it says). All of them come flying down the hill and mob me at the door because they know that when I open the back door it usually means I have treats. You can associate a call with treats - like training a dog - and they'll figure it out. They'll want to go to the shed themselves as soon as it starts to get dark. My coop is in the yard and they just hop up in it when it's time.

8. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I use my own variation of the eggsong, and they recognize it, as a call to food...It's quite funny to watch them come scrambling, from every which direction.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:That is arrangement I use now. Roost / coop ~ 120 from feeding area and birds must walk or fly distance each day, even through > 6" deep snow. They can cover twice distance easily. Point to be stressed is to have cover from elements (wind, rain, sun) and some predator protection (vegetative cover) near grassy area. I place feeders of feeding station at border of cover and open grass.

First make certain they are using coop as roost. Then to get to desired feeding area, start at coop and move feeder incrementaly / daily about 20' feet in desired direction. If cover lacking, then getting birds to move a longer distance will a problem. Keep predator problems in front of mine with this at all times.

My preference is that chickens do not follow me daily for food. Such activity is to be reserved for days when under fed, thus provides guide for making adjustents in feeding rate.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

My chickens meet us at the gate & walk us EVERYWHERE. They crowd around , like a wave of chickens, thus, CHICKEN SURFING, as DW calls it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by