Will chickens go through a flap like a dog door??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Winter, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Winter

Winter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    I was wondering if in winter the chickens would go in and out of the coop through a plastic flap like on a dog door. I thought it would be a good way to preserve warmth in the coop but still allowing them access during the day to the run?

2. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Good question Winter, we were wondering the same thing. [​IMG]

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I've heard some people put plastic or burlap curtains over their nest boxes.

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I have curtains over my nest boxes to block out light as my girls won't lay well if there is too much light in the boxes, works like a charm. Some people use the heavy clear shelf liner on their pop doors, start with a strip on each side till they get used to it then add strips till you get it covered.

5. JSC

JSC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Union, Mo.
    The wife (JSC)was talking to me about this very thing last week. She wanted me to put a pet door on their "pop" hole. Then it would have the slide in part to lock them in at night. [​IMG]

JSC's Hubby [​IMG]

6. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    Oh I cant wait to show off the pics of the "pop door" that GopherBoy has invented to put in our chicken house!! We are taking step by step pics of it so as soon as its in we will post the pics.

7. JSC

JSC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Union, Mo.
    Definitely like to see that![​IMG]

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:I was describing this to DH last night, as we discussed the swingset coop and what we'll do to winterize it!

9. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    My two have observed the cat coming and going through his cat flap and peck at it quite violently. I am sure that they would be in if it did not have a magnetic lock.

10. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    My birds have rubber strips that I placed over the Pop Hole OPening, to help keep the snow, rain and wind out. Works great and the chickens dont mind. The key is, they have to be able to see whats on the other side, or they wont go through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by