Will chickens hatch Guineas?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MTtroutwithwings, Jan 10, 2008.

1. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Hi everyone,
    Just had a crazy thought...in the spring time when hens become most broody, think I could fake them out by putting fertile guinea eggs in their nest for hatching? [​IMG] I'd contemplated the idea of getting a bator but I'm not looking for a career in hatching just want some more guineas! I found a, what looks to be nice, Guinea (only) Hatchery in Iowa (www.guineafarm.com) and they ship eggs starting in May!
    Thoughts, anyone???

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Yes you can hatch guinea eggs under chickens. It takes a week longer for guinea eggs to hatch.
    Also one of the best Guinea hatcheries in the country is in Walters Oklahoma. They have just about every color imaginable.

3. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Thanks Buckguy, I tried to go to the website you referenced but it won't open at this time, I'll keep trying. Do you have guineas?

4. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Ok, so if I do this should I isolate one of the pullets from the rest of the flock
    to ensure that she stays with them continuously and not be interfered with
    or what? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  5. ironjerry

ironjerry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    medina, ohio
    I keep mine in brooder for first month and handle them to tame. G. hens have a problem if they get wet when young. They also want to roam more when grown so you want them used to you

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Not only can they hatch guinea eggs but guineas and chickens can cross breed. Those are wild looking birds, too.

7. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Quote:Let me clarify...I mean should a isolate a hen to incubate the guinea eggs separate from the rest of the hens? I had a pair of guineas I started raising from keets last May only to be killed by neighboring ranch dogs over Thanksgiving weekend so I'd like to start over with eggs this time.

8. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Quote:I'd wondered about that with my last pair of guineas, they were males and kept harassing my pullets. So if you cross breed, what are they,
    gickens or chuineas? [​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A guin is the male offspring from a chicken andguinea cross.

The female is the guin-hen.

You can google and find some photos.

The male guineas can be very insistant when they find one hen they really like. I can't remember if the chicks born from the cross is sterile.

Anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by