1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will chickens lay inside my house?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by amshizzle, Mar 22, 2016.

1. amshizzle

amshizzle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2015
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My chickens are currently living in my spare bedroom as we build their coops.
    They turned 19 weeks old today and I have been expecting eggs any day now.
    Their sister ducklets are now hens as they laid their first eggs yesterday.
    Will my pullets lay without a nesting box? Should I go ahead and add one in their temporary home?
    They will have their new home by Sunday but I am worried I am stunting their production or something...
    I may just be worrying too much!

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    In such a situation I would provide a couple of cardboard boxes with straw/wood shavings. For the birds, your bedroom would not be different than a coop. Yes, they will lay in the house.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

To what nchis said, I would like to add that when a hen is ready to lay, she will lay. Her body does not know whether there is a nest available or not.

Commercial layers don't have nests, they just lay their egg where they are standing. Their eggs roll into a tray for gathering.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  4. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    But, without a nest of some sort, eggs may get broken, be eaten by the pullets, and risk egg eating.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

That's also true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by