1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will chickens love you more if you hatch them yourself?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I <3 Chicks, Jan 28, 2011.

1. I <3 Chicks

I <3 Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Ormond Beach
    Will chickens love you more if you hatch them and you are the first thing they see

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Not in my experience.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I do see a difference in chicks that are hatched on site and chicks that are mailed from a hatchery and bounce through the mail for three days in the dark. Could also be the breeds I raise are already super friendly anyway, though. The ones I hatch are unafraid and trusting from the beginning.

4. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

While I'm sure it is impossible to know for sure...
    I will answer YES...
    that is my story and I'm sticking to it! and I am hatching today and tomorrow!!
    14 little fuzz butts who will love me WAY more than if they were shipped from some hatchery somewhere... without love and smooches from right after hatch... :)

5. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think chickens actually 'love' anything but I think mine seem to be a little more friendly when I hatch them...on the other hand I have a turkey that I bought out of a tank at the feed store who is super, super friendly and I hatched some Rhode Island Reds who hated me so I think we may indeed be talking about breed differences as well experience.

6. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I think that maybe when they are mail ordered, the time out of personal contact with humans and the rough ride to their home, would make them less trusting. I have seen no difference in my chicks that I've hatched and day old chicks that I've gotten directly from the hatchery. Good question.

7. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    There is some difference, though if becomes less noticeable with age for mine, or at least once they're integrated with the rest of the flock [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Nah, they will love you more if you give them more bread, or treats. [​IMG]

My girls come running to the corner of the coop run as soon as they hear that back door open, right there at my feet as I try to get into the coop to check food, water, or clean..they know, spoiled little stinks, just waiting to see what I have, they follow me right under foot the whole time until they get the treat. Too cute. I love them though.

9. Bammy

Bammy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Snow Shoe, PA.
    I have been wondering that myself. My cochin bantams I hatched are very lovable while my EE's are wild creatures. The BLRW I hatched are not very friendly while the Speckled Sussex from a hatchery are sweethearts. My conclusion is it's the breed not where they hatched.

10. I <3 Chicks

I <3 Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Ormond Beach
    Thanks for all your amazing feedback

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by