Will chickens mimic other animal sounds???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tfalls3, Nov 7, 2016.

1. tfalls3

tfalls3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Fern Park, Florida
    My girls have started to make sounds like my guinea pigs weeking sounds. The weather is finally nice here in Florida so we've had the windows open and my 6 guinea pigs week all day long and now my girls started making the same sounds this evening when they went to roost. Is this normal? I know they will mimic crowing

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Chickens are capable of lots of different sounds. They can also be pretty intelligent, so it's certainly possible. Sounds adorable.

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

We had a guinea pig too.....I think the sound your hearing is Dust in the Chickens beak....Mine do it also sometimes after dust bathing...Nothing to worry about....Your right though, it does sound like a guinea pig....lol

Cheers!!!

4. tfalls3

Mar 12, 2014
    Fern Park, Florida
    She is totally mimicking the guinea pigs. I caught her today repeating back and forth with them how cute. She goes from her clucking to squeaking and then back when she saw me. She also baby peeps when she wants attention.

5. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Haha that's cute

6. tfalls3

Mar 12, 2014
    Fern Park, Florida
    She's doing it again as they just went up to roost. She's so confused [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by