1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will chickens overeat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by critterlover, Jul 28, 2009.

1. critterlover

critterlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Connecticut
    It was very warm here today and my poor girls were panting and their wings were almost to the floor. I had a fan, ice water and tried misting them.

I gave them watermelon and they went crazy over it. They are just starting to eat fresh veggies/fruit, etc. Can they eat too much or should I say will they eat too much and make themsleves sick? Or do they self-regulate and stop when they are full. I was not sure how much to offer them, so I gave them a pretty good size wedge to help to cool them.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've never seen a chicken overeat.

3. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    They don't overeat per se, but they can eat too many treats and lose their appetite for the layer pellets.

They can also get runny poop if they eat too much watermelon. It's probably a good idea to give it to them in smallish amounts.

My chickens want to know if they can come over to your house to live. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by