Will chickens peck electrical cords?!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lakeontariochicks, Dec 29, 2010.

1. lakeontariochicks

lakeontariochicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Lake Ontario, NY
    Hubby bought an electric waterer for our chickens, so that they can have water all the time, and makes it easier on us too. He is trying to figure out what to do with the cord. Normally we have their water hanging, but can't figure out what to do with the cord.
    Would it be better to have the water on top of concrete blocks with the cord completely hidden? Has anyone ever hung one, and if so what did you do with the cord?
    Thanks!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They will peck anything, but probably won't bother it once they realize it's not food.

Your waterer should be raised anyway to help keep dirt out

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a raised heated waterer and the chickens have left the cords alone. I haven't even seen them try to peck them.

4. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Maybe mine are of questionable intellegence, but ABSOLUTLY they will peck the cord. Mine have pecked thru the outer shell, and exposed the inner wires by the time I saw it. I assumed it would be OK, I'm a contractor by trade, and it was one of my heavy (well insulated) work cords.

ALL CORDS in or around my coop are ran thru PVC pipe, no matter how long they will be used.

most of the time you will need either 1" or 1 1/2" pvc to fit the plug thru. I "C" notch the ends so nothing is exposed, not even the plugs.

TNT

5. Aria

Aria Overrun With Chickens

Oct 15, 2010
    We are not satisfied with our heated waterer. We purchased it at Tractor Supply...plastic
    red bottom and has a heater all in one. It works fine. IF YOU CAN GET IT TO THE COOP
    WITH OUT SPILLING THE WATER.

We had ours hung. Kept the water heated. BUT it was difficult to have 3 gallons in it. What
    make of waterer do you have? Are you able to keep 3 gallons in it?

We have tried: Carrying it with the 3 gallons in it....when we turned it...spill
    We have tried: Leave in the Coop and carry one gallon and fill it...spill

PLEASE HELP....we are new with Silkie Chickens and our weather causes water to freeze.

6. Tofer76

Tofer76 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Carthage Il,
    Quote:get a 5 gal bucket
    abou 3 nipple waterersfrom qcsuppy
    and a bird bath deicer
    install nipple in the bottom of bucket and set birdbath deicer in it
    and fill

no ice
    nomess
    nodirty water
    no prob

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  7. chickenteen

chickenteen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    richlands N.C.
    Yes one of my silkies got shocked to death aka fried half her boby from trying to eat a cord.

8. lakeontariochicks

lakeontariochicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Lake Ontario, NY
    Thanks for the replies! Hubby will go with his original plan of running the cord through PVC pipe then.

9. Alaska Juju

Alaska Juju New Egg

Jan 12, 2009
    Ours don't peck on the cords, but they jump on the cords or run into them or something!, and the cords come loose from the extension cord, and then the water freezes up! We've wrapped wire around the waterer cord and the extension, so that it's impossible for the cord to pop out unless a human unwinds the wire. Seems to be working now.

10. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Will the chickens peck ____?

Yes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by