1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will chickens purposefully destroy their eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lisamairey, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Lisamairey

Lisamairey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    My flock is just beginning to lay. This morning, I found a completely smashed egg in a nesting box. The egg was flattened and spread about. It was not "pecked" apart. My understanding is that eggs are very strong. They shouldn't crush like this. Any ideas as to how or why this happened? (Thanks!)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    More likely it was an accident. They may have quabbled over the "right" nest box, for one thing. Also, first eggs often have things wrong that will sort themselves out later, including thin shells. Hopefully this will take care of itself.

3. Lisamairey

Jul 29, 2014
    Okay. Thank you. And yes, they all DO seem to prefer one nesting box. I've seen two chickens squeezed into the "preferred" box. That's a crazy thing too! Why is one box better than another? I have three nesting boxes for six chickens...everyone wants one box and one box only. Aaaaargh!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine generally use two of five. Believe me, this is very common. Silly critters. I guess they think that because one uses it, that makes it a "good" place to lay. Maybe this is why golf balls can encourage them to lay where you want. When I'm messing with the nests, I put golf balls in whichever nests they are not using.

5. Lisamairey

Jul 29, 2014
    Yes! I use plastic Easter eggs to tell them that the other two boxes are good places to lay...but they kick those eggs out and football them around the floor of the coop! Guess they know an imposter when they see one! Only the real deal gets to nest in the straw.

6. jondee

jondee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Just wanted to make a comment on using fake eggs---while my hens weren't fooled by golf balls or plastic eggs, they are fooled by ceramic eggs, and will lay wherever I put them! Our local feed stores carry them, or you could probably find them online. They look and feel like real eggs (I took to marking mine with an indelible marker, because even I had a hard time telling them apart), and even come in different colors.

Just a FYI for anyone who hasn't heard of these and is having trouble with eggs getting accidentally broken [​IMG].

Joni

7. Lisamairey

Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks so much for the tip! I will see if I can source these ceramic eggs at my feed store!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by