1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will chickens wander far from home?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KonekoChan528, Feb 17, 2015.

1. KonekoChan528

KonekoChan528 Out Of The Brooder

I live on an island so I don't think it would be too much trouble but there are other people living here and I don't want to disturb them with my chickens is there a way to train them to stay in my back yard?

Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They will go wherever they want, but they tend not to wander too far. It just depends on how far away your neighbors' houses are. Fencing will keep them in if they are not fliers. If you have fliers, they will fly over even 10 foot high fencing (like Campines).

3. KonekoChan528

KonekoChan528 Out Of The Brooder

I have a house that we share a drive way with and another house that is roughly 100 feet away... there is an empty lot between the two houses that has been over grown. I'm more worried about the neighbor we share a drive way with. They have Quail that they do not let out because of their dog, but a fence might do the trick. THANKS!

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I don't know of any way to train them. My free-ranging hens wander as far as 200 yards from the house, but most of the time stay within 100 yards. I've heard that electric netting fence works well, but it's expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by