Will chickens work compost into my garden for me?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 3chickchicks, Sep 30, 2013.

1. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    I'm about done with my summer garden. I was going to spread some compost out and let the girls go in and scratch around to their hearts desire. Will this be okay for them or would it make them sick?

Thanks

2. ozzyman778

ozzyman778 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    UK
    They will love it and do a great job at exactly what your looking for

3. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas

Okay they're hired! Do you know if they're usually union workers or if they'll work for minimum wage? lol!

4. ozzyman778

ozzyman778 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    UK
    They'll work for scraps and add to the compost too, I let mine into my garden without even ripping out the old crops they will level it for you with enough birds or enough time.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I placed my fencing around the garden about a week ago. The girls are having a marvelous time. Every day or so, I go out and roll over the piles of vine crops so the girls can get at the bugs that like to congregate under them. I'll let you in on a little secret... forget the union wages. My girls pay me for the privilege of working for me! (eggs!) They've even found a hill of potatoes that I missed. (volunteer freebies that I didn't plant... Oh how I love to harvest where I have not planted! I got 7# out of that one hill.) The plan is to let them work the garden until the ground freezes, then let them have at it again in the spring before I plant.

6. allhisblessings

allhisblessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Tallahassee, FL
    I agree. They will be great at tilling in the compost and making it even better with their poo mixed in with it!

7. allhisblessings

allhisblessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Tallahassee, FL
    My flock has been working on digging up all of the roots in the run!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by