Will chicks come back into coop if let out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chester1977, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Chester1977

Chester1977 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2011
    I am in my rookie season of home poultry.

I have 6 white leghorn pullets 37 days old and very lively, healthy and rambunctious. I also have 4 guineas 29 days old and skiddish. They have both been in the coop outside for a week and I would like to let the chickens out in the yard for an hour or so soon to see how they do. I do not have a run, am going to let them free range. How do I convince them to come back in when i want them to? I don't want to let the guineas out yet, probably not for a few weeks, so I can't leave the little door open.

Will they come just because I am there?

Should I wait and let them all get a taste of freedom at the same time?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Gosh, the first time, they'll tip toe out, and rush right back in again. Tip toe out, and rush right back in again. It's what they do.

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG]

When I first stated letting our chickens out, it took my girls a week to venture across the entire fenced in backyard, which is not that big. They were convinced that something dangerous was hiding behind every bush and under every leaf. Now they are convinced that there is something edible in every square inch....
    They were "treat trained" before I started letting them roam. They were used to me showing up with a little bucket that had wonderful delicious things in it. Now, if I want them to go to bed early I go out with the treat bucket and toss the contents in the run, and they all file in. Of course, they also come running whenever they see me and follow me all around the yard every time I go outside.....

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  4. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Yes, they will go back in on their own, but not until dusk. As far as if they will go where you want them too that depends on how friendly they are with you. If they don't like to be picked up, you could be chasing them for a while LOL. If you only want them out for an hour I would wait until evening time.

5. jennifersmith326

jennifersmith326 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Griffin, GA
    I was thinking about letting my 4 that hatched Feb 15th out today. I'm just nervous they wont go back in at bedtime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by