1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will chicks 'dust bathe' in pine shavings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledegg, Jun 22, 2011.

1. speckledegg

speckledegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    One of my chicks seems to be 'burrowing', rolling around and digging in her pine shavings in the brooder. The other 2 are just watching her and picking the shavings off of her back. Is this typical behavior? Is she trying to dust bathe?

2. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    Absolutely! It won't be long before the others join in. I think it's so cute when they start doing this...however it does stir up some fierce dust [​IMG]

3. speckledegg

speckledegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    Thanks! Just making sure this is normal and she's not having a seizure and dying on me. I'm a little nervous still! [​IMG]

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    First time I saw one of mine do it I was a bit surprised too. Fun to watch em!

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Give them a dish of sand and let the good times roll!

6. gvilledh

gvilledh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    I can't wait to let ours try it-if these darn thunderstorms would quit happening every evening! I have the sand all ready for them, but once we are ready to take them out, the storms roll in. At least Saturday should be a good day to try it if we don't have a chance before then!

7. roxsam

roxsam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    When they dust bathe so they lay on their sides and wiggle around and kick their legs? My 2 week old rir was doing this in a container of moist dirt and freaked me out! I thought something was wrong with it...them it dawned on me maybe it was dust bathing?

8. laurabonitahopkins

laurabonitahopkins Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Quote:One of my 9 day old EE's was doing that this morning! It was so cute. Same thing with her pals picking the shavings off her. Can't wait to see them do the real thing outside!

9. ChickyLove

ChickyLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    Mine are five weeks old now, and just recently started doing the same thing. They really do look dead with their necks all stretched out and their legs splayed behind and wings spread. Really started me the first time until I heard the happy trilling, LOL!

10. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:Yep that's it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by