Will cigarette smoke smell hurt newly hatched chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mistymeadowchicks, Jan 16, 2011.

1. mistymeadowchicks

mistymeadowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    Does anyone know (or have opinions) on whether cigarette smoke smell is harmful to new chicks? My neighbor generously gave me a PC fan to circulate air in the incubator I'm working w/ (Hovabator #1582--Estate Sale $3 [​IMG]'.) I have it set up empty to test temps, humidity, etc., & the entire bator now wreaks of cigarette smoke. I cleaned the fan, as best I could, w/ q-tips & alcohol before putting it in. I don't want to be ungrateful, likewise I REALLY don't want to expose chicks to respiratory problems if this might be an issue. Any thoughts or cleaning suggestions? Thanks--this is a wonderful "library" for us newbies!

Also, in one of these threads, another BYCer had & used this particular model. (Of course now I can't find the post!) Any specific model suggestions or quirks would be appreciated too!

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I wouldn't be concerned. Eventually the smell will go away. I've gotten eggs from folks who smoke and the eggs themselves smelled like smoke for a few days. [​IMG]

3. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    I think I would try white vinegar, it seems to kill smokes oders very well! You can set a glass dish Of full strenth vinegar in the bator and run it for a few days. HTH [​IMG]

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep.

It will probably make that chicken sound like "Sir Walter Raleigh" with a mouthful of tobacco.

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    As for "will it hurt them"... I think the smell will bother you more than the chicks. It won't hurt them.

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:I think it will be fine. For some reason, almost all the eggs I buy here or on ebay appear to be from smokers (I don't smoke, so maybe I am extra sensitive to the smell) and they do just fine.

8. mistymeadowchicks

mistymeadowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks so much for the reassurances, suggestions & funny posts. I'll give the white vinegar a try. You guys are the GREATEST!!!

9. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Actually the US Surgeon General just came out with a warning concerning thirdhand smoke. This is the smoke residues that you smell in clothes, cars, carpet, and I would assume anything else a smoker would be breathing on. For that reason, I wouldnt completely dismiss the possibility that the smoke might be harmful to the chicks. This probably wouldnt keep me from using the free fans, but it would make me think twice before visiting the neighbors smoke filled house.

10. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Hhmmmn.

Well, once again...the more "advisories" and "dictates" I hear from the Surgeon General's office and the F.D.A...
    the More "IN-credible" their opinions seem to be.

I'm getting to the point that I don't believe ANYTHING they say.

I think they are full of manure.

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by