Will clears on day 6 stink if I open them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RareBreedFancier, Jan 12, 2011.

1. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Hi all,

5 of my 12 eggs are doing nothing. The candled infertile at day 3 but as I've never hatched/candled before I left them 'just in case'.

I assume they are infertile but found pics on a thread showing fertile/infertile eggs. Would they stink if I tried to look? Will I be able to see the spot after cooking in the 'bator for nearly a week?

It's mainly for my own curiosity because I'd like to know if they ever had a chance.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    IME, the only ones that "stink" are rotten and they are easy to see the egg will be dark whan candled. I always open the eggs to see what stage of development they got to before quitting, if they even started at all.

3. RareBreedFancier

Nov 5, 2010
    Thank you, that is good to know. These haven't changed a bit so the only options I think are infertile or heat got them.

It was very hot leading up to the time I got them and the breeder hadn't dated them but was planing to set them so I doubt they were too old.

EDIT: because I should proof read [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    You candle for fertility at day 3? I leave mine alone till day 7 and sometimes still have a problem telling which ones are developing and which ones aren't. I think it's best to handle them as little as possible...

But as to your question, normal undeveloped eggs will not smell at all (other than a normal warm eggy smell) if you open them after a week in the bator. If you're wanting to check for fertilised bullseyes I think you have to let the eggs cool down for a few hours first. In the past I've taken eggs out of my bator and cracked them straight away and just got burst yolks and a big hot runny mess. My dogs ate it quite happily and didn't get upset stomachs or anything. Eurgh!

5. RareBreedFancier

Nov 5, 2010
    Thank you for the warning to cool them first. lol I'm sure my dogs will be glad to deal with them afterward.
    As for candling them at day 3... I was trying hard to sit on my hands and then I read about other people doing it... [​IMG]

It was super obvious when I did, lots of spidery veins in the good ones, nada in the others.

Probably helps I have a 3 LED torch and white eggs [​IMG] I do however now want a stronger one because I can't see the detail as well now that they are growing... and I really must learn to sit on my hands! [​IMG]

EDIT: I sure didn't toss anything at day 3 but it's day 7 tomorrow and nothing has changed. I was told not to candle till day 10 as it's my first hatch but the wait was killing me! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  6. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    White eggs are way easier to candle on day 3 than brown. But I have seen veining on my orp eggs that early

7. RareBreedFancier

Nov 5, 2010
    Yep, I'm going to need a better torch for brown eggs. I want to get some green and blue ones too and I read they are hard to see through as well.

8. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:I use a real cheap pocket light that is led lights i picked up at a auto parts place. It's perfect cause it's small and lays onthe curve of the egg just right.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience, NO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by