Will Coccidiosis make my hens stop laying?

fishnet1971

'Birds Momma
13 Years
May 25, 2010
'Bird 'n the Fluffy Butts coop in Ohio
My hens have stopped laying! I have 2 Cochins - 2 yrs. old that have not left me anything in months. 1 EE - 2 yr. old not laying in months. 2 White Rocks - 1 quit laying a few weeks ago, the other nothing in months.
2 BR - started laying two months ago, -1 nothing now for a few weeks. 1 Sultan started laying two and a half months ago - nothing in a few weeks.

I did just find out a few weeks ago they had tapeworms and Coccidiosis and treated for it with Albon from my vet and Strongid for tapes. Would they stop laying from the cocci medication for awhile?

I had a trail camera up for a month of so earlier in the year when I noticed the egg numbers dwindling and got nothing. No varmits stealing eggs, no one eating them.

If one of my hens was eating them, I would suspect that I would find some remenants of it? dried yolk, dirty shavings with egg on it etc. nothing. all clean.

No snakes to speak of. only chipmunks and birds.

Last edited:
Any kind of stress can make them stop for a while. I guess it depends how stressed they were.

You could try some dried milk in their feed to help their guts recover from the damage. Both those problems damage the intestinal wall, and worms make them more susceptible to other problems. Also, Albon also a bit rough on their gut. Some probiotics are always a good idea after antibiotics, too.

Duration of problem is a bit long for stress caused by coccidiodosis and you provide no description of signs making me think your birds have it. Additionally every one of my adult chicken likely harbors coccidia yet they do not exhibit coccidiodosis. It normal to have cocci in gut and very difficult to prevent with birds running about outside. Use of coccidiostats I use do not hinder egg production. Egg production for some birds should be tapering off as heavy molt commences so that may be part of problem.

What are you feeding birds and how do they look in general?

I didnt know I had a cocci problem. I took a fecal to the vet wtih a bunch of tiny worm segements on it. She sent it out to a lab to run some tests on it, as I told her i had had a hen that was lethargic, puffed up, and just not well. It came back wtih 'tape worms' and a very high count of cocci. Vet reccomended i treat for both. I treated everyone with the Albon in the water for 5 days. Got a HUGE improvement in the lethargic girl and one other. But my 3 new girls that are 24 weeks quit laying totally too. I wondered about molt as well, so i really ahvent been concerned about it until my new 6 month olds quit laying as well. My Sultan has left me at least 5 eggs per week for the last 5 weeks. Now nothing in two weeks?

I got them on a good yogurt with probiotic and buttermilk as soon as the ALbon was done. They just LOVE buttermilk and yogurt. Just wish I could exit the coop without being covered in it when I give it to them. lol

Last edited:
So besides the no egg issue they are all acting completely fine now? Eating and drinking great? What feed are they getting?

Take a moment (or a few) and read this article. I just started reading it but it looks like some great info

Last edited:
they are cooped at night until daylight, have a huge 200 X 100 grass, dirt, pine tree run and then are free range from about 5 when i get home until they go in to bed. They get Purina Layena free choice, plenty of water inside and out. plenty of treats - tomatoes, veggies from the garden, about a cup and a half of scratch in the morning every day, iced water if its hot out. Hasnt been any extremes in the last few weeks. they are all eating well too.

I am thinking after brainstorming here that a combination of things is going on to reduce the numbers.

2 Cochins 2 and a half year olds - age and 1 had tape worms pretty bad. She is doing a lot better as far as looks, lethargic no more, etc. think she's starting to molt though.
1 RSL - 3 and a half - age
1 Sultan pullet that was laying - not sure yet. I am seeing some feathers from here drop through. 1 Sultan pullet that is not laying yet - she was the Cocci and tapeworm on that is doing to much better
2 white rocks - 1 with tapes and skinny and pale 1 have no clue- she molted in spring believe it or not thinking she is just in recovery
2 BLRW - pullets have not started to lay yet. (Feb. 1 hatch date)
1 EE - hasnt laid in MONTHS. 2 1/2 year old. She is finishing a molt. a lot of new pin feathers
2 BR - 1 went broody and has just started to lay again. Getting 1 egg a day from her. The second was laying, now is pale and not laying. eating good etc.

I am going to check for mites really well when I get home too. My coop is immaculate and cleaned constantly. I scoop poop daily and do a clean out about once a month. With all the wet weather we had this summer, they have had a feast on worms and bugs as well. I am sure that's where the tapes came from. My vet said grain mites though. I checked the feed and found nothing.

Great article too by the way!

Last edited:
Went home to find feathers all over the pen last night. I thought for SURE something had gotten into the pen.

Victoria my white Sultan that's only 24 weeks is loosing feathers left and right! I can follow her trail. lol... I guess I know why she isnt laying anyway. I found a bumble on one of my Rocks too. Took care of that last night too. Izzy, 2nd Sultan has tapes still. Just got her on her second round of Strongid. Hope that works.

I am not going to worry anymore, we have normal issues going on I think, and they will get back to it eventually. Everyone seems healthy, eating good, drinking well.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom