Will cochins raise pheasants?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by biggins, Jun 6, 2010.

1. biggins

biggins Chirping

Mar 1, 2010
    Virginia
    My cochin just hatched some goldens & an amhearst. Will they bond? Or would I be better off putting the babies in a brooder?

2. ChurpyChicken

ChurpyChicken Songster

Sep 19, 2009
    Buxton/Leek
    had my cochin hen sat on some pheasant eggs she was fine with them until they started to hatch and she killed one [​IMG]

3. NCIndiaBlue

NCIndiaBlue Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    NC
    Most likely the pheasants will not stay with the hen, they are far more hyper than chicken chicks. Maybe for a day or two, but I wouldn't let her raise them, I think they will escape and probably get taken by a predator.

4. Eagle2026

Eagle2026 HIGH FLYER

Mar 10, 2009
    Snohomish, WA.
    NO!!!
    Your not going to make it happen NO WAY!!!
    What a waste.
    Mike
    Save the rest of them if you can!!!

5. biggins

biggins Chirping

Mar 1, 2010
    Virginia
    Save them from what? She's had them for a week now & they're doing fine.

NCIndiaBlue - do they get high strung as they get older? They're much calmer than I thought they'd be. In fact they're calmer than a clutch of silkies that were hatched a few days before them.

6. [​IMG]

We use broody hens to hatch alot of different birds, and let some hens raise the babies.

But you need to know the hens, some will kill chicks & there is the risk of chciken disease's being transferred to the other species.

But most hens make great mothers and will raise any babies.

7. ranit

ranit Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    I didn't have much luck when I tried letting one of my silkies raise some ringneck pheasants. They just wouldn't stay with her and let her tend to them. I ended up having to catch them and put them in a brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: