Will 'Coming Of Laying Age' Ducks Start Laying This Time Of Year?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by suzettex5, Nov 5, 2011.

1. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    We have several ducks who were bought around June 1st of this year. They are all pretty big now and eating like pigs! We have Mallards, Runners (not sure what type, some are tan though) also we have a few blue ducks, but not sure the type but I think swedish blue,(the boy has a green bill), and 2 white, crested pekins. We do know we have 3 males and 7 females all together. We will be getting rid of one of the males if that proves to be too many for the 7 females.

We feed layer feed as well as flock raiser, they get some corn (they are housed with our chickens and guineas and everyone gets along great), they get fresh veggies and fruits, we also provide oyster shell daily (havent seen the ducks go for it yet though).

I am wondering if ducks who are about 5 months old will start to lay at this time of year, or if they will wait until next spring/summer? Is there any behavior I should look for, or signs they might start laying this year?

We are kind of new to ducks, so I need any input or experiences you can share. I have done some searches, but still not too sure what to expect or look for. All I could really determine is certain breeds lay all year, and others dont. Do any of the breeds I listed above have a tendency to lay in the winter?

Will any breed of ducks START laying in the fall/winter?

(these are hatchery ducks, if that makes any difference)

2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    No duck people on tonight? [​IMG]

3. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I am not sure on the breeds you listed but I do know that light is very important for laying fowl. I provide light part of the night to keep mine laying and I know some others who do the same. I have a young adult Buff Orp that should start laying soon, hopefully. The rest of my girls are all Golden 300 Hybrids. They lay all year once they get going, particularly if I give them light. Last winter I had an egg average just a hair under my duck count. I am hoping for the same this winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by